Learning about gas leak detection is essential to improve safety at home. If you want to learn more, read this post by Archer Cleaning & Restoration Services in St. Croix County.

Having a properly installed natural gas source in your house allows you to enjoy a warm shower, cook a nice meal every night, and enjoy reading or watching the T.V. in a warm living room. On the whole, natural gas plays an essential role in providing comfort and energy to your property; however, there's always the chance of having a gas leak, and to that end, it's essential to learn how to detect it and what to do after having this problem. Luckily, today's post by Archer Cleaning & Restoration Services has put together vital information about how to detect and handle a gas leak. If you are interested in the matter, keep reading below.

If your property goes through a hazardous event, turn to the experts at Archer Cleaning & Restoration Services. They offer 24/7 service so that you can reach out whenever you have an emergency. Call 888-436-3499 today, and learn about the best restoration services in St. Croix County.

Telling Signs of Having a Gas Leak at Home

Natural gas is highly flammable and leads to an increased risk of fire damage when it leaks inside your house. Since this energy source is invisible, you must learn other ways to detect its leakage. To that end, pay attention to the following warning signs:
  • Sulfur smell: Natural gas is completely odorless; however, utilities use a chemical to odorize gas with a concentrated sulfuric scent to facilitate leak detection and improve safety. So, be alert if you notice this gas scent.
  • Dead houseplants: It might be shocking to see your healthy watered plants get brown and rusty all of a sudden; however, this can happen when your home has high levels of carbon monoxide due to gas leakage. To that end, have your gas line inspected if you notice a sudden landscape deterioration.
  • Rising gas bills: Another way to detect a gas leak is by keeping track of your gas utility payments. If you notice your gas bills are getting higher, that might indicate a mild leak issue.
  • Physical symptoms: After inhaling carbon monoxide for a while, you might feel the common symptoms of CO poisoning, including nausea, headaches, dizziness, weakness, and chest pain. If you suspect having carbon monoxide poisoning, it is important to leave your house immediately and call 911.

If a fire has taken place on your property, let Archer Cleaning & Restoration Services assist with the restoration. Call 888-436-3499 to speak with a knowledgeable technician about the best restoration services in St. Croix County, and request a damage assessment to get your home or commercial property back to its pre-fire conditions.

What to do After Detecting a Gas Smell

As mentioned above, gas has a particular smell some people describe as similar to rotten eggs; regardless, if you notice this smell inside your house, you must act immediately to avoid a dangerous outcome. Keep in mind that natural gas is highly flammable; therefore, its leaking increases the risk of fire damage and explosion. To learn what to do after detecting gas leakage, read on.

Leave Your House

After noticing a sulfur smell inside your house, evacuate immediately. If you live with your family, it goes without saying that you must take them outside and ensure the house is empty. Plus, it's essential to keep a safe distance from the property, so make sure to remove everyone at least 350 feet away.

Avoid Causing a Spark

This suggestion might seem obvious; however, it's essential to make sure no one around the house is doing things that might ignite or spark. For example, turning lights on or off, using a flashlight, starting a car, using a telephone, or using appliances in any way.

Report the Problem and Ask for Help

Once everyone is at least 350 feet away from the house, you can safely use your phone to reach out for help. Hence, you must call the utility company's emergency number, the local fire department, and 911.

Follow Professional Instructions

The firefighters and utility employees will check the property's gas lines to determine the source of leaking. Once they repair the fault, they'll notify you about the situation and will share with you clear instructions you must follow to ensure a safe return to your house.

After dealing with a house fire; rely on our technicians to provide a damage assessment, and restore your property back to its original condition. For more information about the best restoration services in St. Croix County, call Archer Cleaning & Restoration Services at 888-436-3499. Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help you whenever you need it.

Archer Restoration
is a Proud Sponsor of the
Club 905 Polk County Scholarship Fund

Supporting Community Law Enforcement 
and Emergency Service Providers